Published by DLC Marketing Team
What to Look for During a Home Tour.
So! You think you’ve found your dream home, and you can’t wait to check it out in person.
Before you go, here are a few things that are important to look out for during a home tour:
- Odor: Unusual smells can indicate problems, especially mold or mildew issues.
- Plumbing and Electrical: Check water pressure as well as electrical systems to ensure no eroded or exposed wires, properly functioning HVAC, sealed water heater, etc.
- Noise: This is one that homebuyers can often overlook, but it is important to consider the noise within the house as well as how loud the street and neighbourhood are before committing to ensure they are suitable for you.
- Home Layout: Whether or not the layout and function of the home suits your needs.
- Number of Rooms: How many bathrooms and bedrooms does the house have? Is that amount suitable for your needs?
- Wall and Flooring Condition: What is the condition of the walls and floors? Defects such as warping, cracks, watermarks, etc., can be indicative of larger issues.
- Unpermitted Additions or Updates: On occasion, you might go to view a home that was listed as having 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, only to find that it actually has an extra bathroom! As great as this might be for your needs, you’ll want to double-check that the addition was permitted. Unpermitted construction can create major issues when it comes to insurance coverage and potential structural headaches if not done properly.
Remember, things like furniture, decor, wall or floor treatments, and hardware or other fixtures are easily updated and not important when viewing a home as they can be changed if the rest of the home suits your needs!
In addition to these items to keep an eye out for, there are also a few specific questions you should be asking your realtor, including: deadline for offers, number of offers that have been made, why the sellers are moving, any concerns they may have, whether or not there is a homeowner association with fees, and how old the home is.
To ensure the smoothest homebuying journey, it is vital to have right professionals at your side. A Dominion Lending Centres mortgage expert can help walk you through the process and even recommend a realtor in your area to assist with the purchase itself!